The effective altruism movement is allocating hundreds of millions of dollars and millions of person hours to improve the world. Better research can dramatically improve this allocation. Rethink Priorities is a research organization aimed at uncovering the actionable insights across different EA causes that are needed to do this. We have founding values – we care about transparency, tractability, short feedback loops, actionability, and impact assessment.
So far we’ve done a deep dive on the cost-effectiveness of vaccines and learned some lessons, we’ve launched the PriorityWiki (and got some press!), we’ve commissioned a site visit of farming practices in rural Zambia, and we’ve looked at re-analyzing veg outreach studies.
For the remainder of 2018, we’re working on:
- researching interventions in fish welfare
- assessing invertebrate sentience
- understanding the experiences of wild animals
- assessing the impact of corporate campaigning
- running and analyzing the EA Survey
We’re also looking into some projects to understand how to have an impact in the long-term future.
We’re looking for part-time and full-time junior researchers who can assist our variety of research projects and be mentored and supported into developing strong research skills. Junior researchers might be tasked with helping us research a particular fact, summarize a particular area, help us connect with and understand the research of another organization, etc.
What we need from you
- Openness to doing research in a variety of different cause areas
- The ability to find, read, and critically apply academic research from a variety of disciplines
- Comfort with quickly learning how to apply research outside your field of knowledge
- Comfort with independent work and be self-directed
- Able to consistently work 20 hours or more a week (though flexibility and vacation time are provided)
What would be nice to have (but not required)
- Broad familiarity with effective altruism
- Prior experience in research or operations
What we’re offering
- Opportunity to have a large impact, ensuring your research is read and taken seriously by key decision makers who influence millions of dollars
- Competitive salary based on your personal needs and experience
- Flexible work hours (work part-time or full-time, work on your own schedule as long as you show results and communicate well)
- Flexible work location (we’re currently in San Francisco, Vancouver, and Chicago and welcome new additions anywhere in the world)
- Very fun and energetic team (get to be a part of the wider Rethink Charity Slack)
- Very low bureaucracy
- We don’t provide snacks but we could mail you a box of Oreos if you want
How to Apply
- Send in a resume and one example of your best previous research work to firstname.lastname@example.org. Feel free to also send me any questions you may have about the role.
- Also, for applications, please send no more than 500 words outlining a research project you think is tractable and important.
- Successful applicants based on this first stage will be contacted for the remainder of the application process, which includes spending three hours completing a test task and about 60mins each completing two interviews. That’s it!